Law Office of Ronald A. Cabanayan
Law Office of
Ronald A. Cabanayan

DUI ~ Criminal Defense ~ Immigration/Naturalization

Justice Is On Your Side

Should you apply for an EAD card?

The EAD card, also known as an employment authorization document, is vital for many immigrants living in the United States. However, not everyone needs to apply for one. 

If you are considering applying for one, it’s important to understand what they are and how they can benefit you. 

What is an EAD?

The Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a document that authorizes a foreign national to work in the United States. To be eligible for an EAD, you must have a valid immigration status that allows you to work in the United States. For example, you may qualify for an EAD if you have a valid student visa or are a refugee. The EAD is valid for a specific time period.

The EAD is not required if you have another type of work authorization, such as a green card or a work visa from a specific employer, i.e., an H-1B.A

You can apply for an EAD through USCIS, and the process usually takes around 90 days, though it can take as long as six months. Once you have a valid EAD, you can work for any employer in the United States or start your own business. 

Applying for an EAD can be a complicated process. The first step is to gather all the necessary documents, including a government-issued ID and a copy of your Arrival/Departure Record. Once you have all the required documents, you must fill out an application and submit it to the appropriate government agency. 

If your application is approved, you will be issued an EAD card. If your application is denied, you may appeal the decision or file a new application. Working with someone familiar with the process can increase your chances of success.